The beginning



At 47 most would regard you over the hill as an athlete, hopefully I can prove that's not always the case, and Ive got a few more puffs of steam left yet.


Ive chosen the fantastic sport of K1 Kayak marathon racing for my last ditched attempt of a physical endurance sport before I fall the wrong side of the hill.

The last time I did any Kayaking was well over 20 years ago, technology has made vast improvements in construction and weight saving, paddle technology too has gone a long way in deign and efficiency, but the overall concept has changed very little.


I have chosen to enter the Devizes to Westminster race Easter 2011, raced in a solo K1 its a race against the clock over 125miles of the Thames river, with 77 portages (get out of your boat and carry it around locks etc) over a period of 4 days,

if raced in a K2 (2 man) then its a race non stop from start to finish inc. through the night, advertised as one of the worlds toughest Kayaking races it not only tests your fitness and stamina, but your mental endurance as well together with the help of a good ground crew providing support with food and water.

Have a look at the posted YOU TUBE 6 part documentary to get a better idea of how tough this race can be, and for a laugh there's a couple of videos showing how difficult it can be trying out a K1 kayak for the first time.


I'm planning to enter one of the winter 6 race series starting on the 7th November to help towards the Devize race, my general fitness is OK and quite reasonable for endurance, perhaps bordering insane to take this on, got a feeling I'm going to be feeling some pain along the way.

I am smoking but that has another 7 days before I stop, aghhhh I have to :( I'm getting so much grief from my boys so all in all it'll be a good thing and a few more coins in my pocket.

Technique does play a major part in this sport, but fitness and training can't be ignored, so much to achieve in a short time, where to start I haven't a scooby yet or what other training away from Kayaking will help, another whole ball game to look at and plan.


The K1 Kayaks have a stability rating of 1 to 10, 1 being the least stable, the less stable they are the faster they go, that is if youre staying in the boat that is.

I'm comfortable on a 5, but the difference between the 5 and 4 seem a big step, the width (beam) is even narrower, if you can imagine trying to keep upright on a uni cycle for the first time then you're getting near how difficult it can be, once you're moving it's a little more stable, well that is until your co-ordination goes haywire then it seems to remind you you're on a tight rope and the ejection seat is getting ready to dump you overboard,

I keep being told its like learning to ride a bike all over again, mmmmm seems a lot harder than I remembered, so looks like practice and more practice will be the order of the day,

the club have told me as soon as I'm comfortable with the current boat ill be put on the next faster boat, heck the one I'm on is like balancing on an ice skate, the next one was like balancing on a knife blade aaaagghhhh


Im going to use this blog as a diary entry to show how I get on and some useful information about the K1 & K2 kayak marathon and sprint racing as I go, and my preparation for the Devizes to Westminster race, it should be a laugh and hopefully some may find it useful starting the sport themselves, or perhaps what not to do!!.


Feel free to add comments and any advise on any of the subjects I may be failing on, that'll be ALL to start with !!! lol


Tip's and hints will continually be added to entry 18

Saturday 22 January 2011

ENTRY 12

After what I felt was an awful attempt on the last race Ive felt I really got to start getting back into things and looking a little harder at technique, Stuarts really helped me out with the use of his boat, its the same as the club one I use but I know where all the settings are that suit me, Stuarts introduced me a bit more to the ergo machine and training on it for fitness, 
We've spent some time on sprint practise over 200 mt's for one of Stuarts up-coming races, been great for me to practice my starts and sprinting of the start line, its given me a little more confidence in pushing hard of the line, ive also spent a lot of time looking at my paddling technique and have found a lot of areas that are starting to improve a lot, overall fitness is ok, could be miles ahead and unfortuanatlly the smoking one is still the major chain around the neck.
Our club chairman does do hypnotherapy and can cover stopping smoking, did sneakily ask if he could as hypnotise for "it dosent hurt" "I will go faster" and "I will win" he laughed and said I can make you think it only lol, aw well worth a try. If you see some nutter coming in last jumping for joy you'll know the hypnotherapy worked lol:)


Had some time out with the C2 boys last Saturday and filled in for the DW training, fastest Ive ever seen the flow on the river, going out was fine, coming back against the current was tough, think we did just on 10 miles, god my arms knew it the next day, we practised the portages as well under the guidance of Roger, also found out a few tactical cheats with passing boats or stopping them cheating, nearly had to ask Stuart for his crutches on one of the portages, dont know what happened but must have been the way I was sitting on the edge of my seat but my leg really had gone to sleep and it was just a piece of jelly and couldnt put any weight on it at all, one leg in the water and slumped over the gun rail lol
Do enjoy the C2's so hope to get some more time out in them again soon, Ive also got my eyes set quite firmly on having a crack in the C1 when the waters warmer, Ive been told their very difficult, got my fingers crossed I can master it quickly, if I can Id really enjoy racing them later in the year.




                                         





Heres a short video of Lisa Suttle and C2 partner, one of the few female Uk C1/C2 racers, also a Chelmsford canoe club member, they achieved silver and bronze medals for 200mtr and 500mtr sprint,  in the ICF world championships held in Dartmouth Nova Scotia 2009, at present I believe Im right in saying the women are not included in the Olympic games but Men are, more female paddlers are needed in the Uk and worldwide,  not sure if they will be included in the 2012 games, hope so

Managed to get a quick sit in Stuarts wobble factor 2 boat, managed to stay sitting upright for a bit, but let that boat go to much to one side and shell just fall over, well it did with me still attached, god that water was Bl***y cold, roll on warmer waters, either that or ill see if I can borrow a dry suit for a day and plug away with the next boat up, starting to get a little itchy for wanting a faster boat but I know im being sensible staying in the slower one for the moment, I think me and Stuart put a guess of having to put about 30% more effort into the slower boat to keep up with a faster slimmer boat, guess the theory might work that I should be able to push a faster boat like a rocket, mmm wished, a lot of energy and effort will be lost in staying upright and taking a safe low paddling technique, patience I guess as it'll all come in time lol.




Ive managed to have a few sessions out in the K2's, had a trip out with John in the Mirage but it was a little unsteady with the choppy waters, so we tried the condor and got on well with that and had a session out with another club member (cant remember his name) considering Im very new to K2's and we've never been out together I think we got on quite well, Hopefully having my first race in a K2 on the race after the Chelmsford one with Paul, at least he cant beat me that day lol
 


Racing on home turf tomorrow, Id like to say the extra training is going to help out but Ive managed to get one of those real tight chests, its going to be a shorter than normal race racing through the town center rivers, 2 laps of our town center circuit, about 6 miles, it will mean this race will be more of a sprint than a marathon, the hard area is going to be the channel area, this is where you get the wash and wake from the other boats and then it gets re-bounded back at you for a second pop, stability will be fine for me but it severely mucks up the steering and the nose of the boat wants to wander everywhere which slows you down, Im hoping with some effort I can keep in the tow of the faster boats, can only do me best :)

No comments:

Post a Comment