The beginning



At 47 most would regard you over the hill as an athlete, hopefully I can prove that's not always the case, and Ive got a few more puffs of steam left yet.


Ive chosen the fantastic sport of K1 Kayak marathon racing for my last ditched attempt of a physical endurance sport before I fall the wrong side of the hill.

The last time I did any Kayaking was well over 20 years ago, technology has made vast improvements in construction and weight saving, paddle technology too has gone a long way in deign and efficiency, but the overall concept has changed very little.


I have chosen to enter the Devizes to Westminster race Easter 2011, raced in a solo K1 its a race against the clock over 125miles of the Thames river, with 77 portages (get out of your boat and carry it around locks etc) over a period of 4 days,

if raced in a K2 (2 man) then its a race non stop from start to finish inc. through the night, advertised as one of the worlds toughest Kayaking races it not only tests your fitness and stamina, but your mental endurance as well together with the help of a good ground crew providing support with food and water.

Have a look at the posted YOU TUBE 6 part documentary to get a better idea of how tough this race can be, and for a laugh there's a couple of videos showing how difficult it can be trying out a K1 kayak for the first time.


I'm planning to enter one of the winter 6 race series starting on the 7th November to help towards the Devize race, my general fitness is OK and quite reasonable for endurance, perhaps bordering insane to take this on, got a feeling I'm going to be feeling some pain along the way.

I am smoking but that has another 7 days before I stop, aghhhh I have to :( I'm getting so much grief from my boys so all in all it'll be a good thing and a few more coins in my pocket.

Technique does play a major part in this sport, but fitness and training can't be ignored, so much to achieve in a short time, where to start I haven't a scooby yet or what other training away from Kayaking will help, another whole ball game to look at and plan.


The K1 Kayaks have a stability rating of 1 to 10, 1 being the least stable, the less stable they are the faster they go, that is if youre staying in the boat that is.

I'm comfortable on a 5, but the difference between the 5 and 4 seem a big step, the width (beam) is even narrower, if you can imagine trying to keep upright on a uni cycle for the first time then you're getting near how difficult it can be, once you're moving it's a little more stable, well that is until your co-ordination goes haywire then it seems to remind you you're on a tight rope and the ejection seat is getting ready to dump you overboard,

I keep being told its like learning to ride a bike all over again, mmmmm seems a lot harder than I remembered, so looks like practice and more practice will be the order of the day,

the club have told me as soon as I'm comfortable with the current boat ill be put on the next faster boat, heck the one I'm on is like balancing on an ice skate, the next one was like balancing on a knife blade aaaagghhhh


Im going to use this blog as a diary entry to show how I get on and some useful information about the K1 & K2 kayak marathon and sprint racing as I go, and my preparation for the Devizes to Westminster race, it should be a laugh and hopefully some may find it useful starting the sport themselves, or perhaps what not to do!!.


Feel free to add comments and any advise on any of the subjects I may be failing on, that'll be ALL to start with !!! lol


Tip's and hints will continually be added to entry 18

Monday 31 January 2011

ENTRY 14 5th race

Cheshunt, young Mariners base 5th race of the winter series.


Out of all honesty perhaps my worst race to date, if I was going to make a mistake or something go wrong it was going to happen, had this horrible feeling that today was going to be a dunking, mmm wasn't wrong.


Cant say I didnt feel to bad, did have a lack of sleep after getting in at 1.30am from a party and did find the cold really biting.
Didnt feel that comfy in the boat as Ive had to use my normal trainers as my diving boots had perished, the boats a little to small on the foot end for me and the trainers do get wedge which is a pain when you want to steer.
Got myself on the start line with the others, just couldnt get a good start, the fast boys were off quick and trying to make headway in the chop wasn't easy, the steering was non responsive and just couldnt settle, first portage was only a short distance, had some prior warning the portages were high and it may be beneficial to portage early, could see Barry about 50 ft ahead and the leaders already clearing the portage, 
it wasn't to high for the portage but I just couldnt get out, there was nothing to grab hold on with your fingers, tucked my legs up and pushed up and I still couldnt get up, being out of breath and for the first time really noticing how much smoking was against me it took me a couple of minutes to suss that my life jacket was getting caught on a piece of metal sticking out from the bank, Bu***r
Id lost a lot of time, Toby from group 2 had already got in the water on the other side and Paul from our group had gone past me and was already off before I could get into the water.


My hands were so muddy I had to wash them in the water but it just served to make my hands colder, went past Toby and Paul fairly quickly but still felt like I was in a fuzzy haze lol
The next portage went ok, perhaps a little higher but out fairly clean, really noticed the weight of the boat running on the portage, dont normally notice it.
I could see Barry with another paddler and was slowly starting to pull some ground in, I had one of the junior faster boats go past from our club and heard him shout "get in the wash" tried but just couldnt, went past one of the mixed K2's and then another junior went past, this time I managed to get some wash hanging, looking in the distance I could see what resembled the white painted stone of the next portage, totally transfixed to the back of the junior boat and marvelling how they were making it look so effortless and trying to copy I hadn't taken a blind bit of notice ahead was actually NOT a portage, the junior did their turn and I followed to the bank for the portage, an Un-graceful effort trying to get the boat out from behind the railings and a mad dash up to the road, mmmmm something wrong no marshals on the road, crossed and went down the road and couldnt find a route back to water, back to bridge and over in between the cars and down to the other side, mmmm something very wrong with this portage and confirmed when I saw Paul coming under the bridge (what I had taken as a lock from the distance) Bu***r  Bu***r, this truly could have been one of those Panama cigar moments,  nearest tree please
What can I say, my true blonde plonker moment lol, aw well boat back in the water from another high bank, didnt realise the bank had quite a deep undercut and as soon as I stepped in the boat it disappeared under the bank, its funny you just know when youre going in, slow motion descends in HD, determined not to go in head first I tucked me legs up and pushed away from the boat, there wasnt nothing to grasp on the bank, up to my armpits and feet on the river bed, result:) only got a little bit of water in the boat so no point in time wasting bailing her out, back in and away again, quickly past Paul again, de ja vou, gota say the dunking did wake me up a bit, but thankfully didnt feel the cold at all, got to the last portage and this was the high one, the K2 had got past me on my extra portage, the young lady I could see standing tip toe in her boat and really struggling to get out, this didnt look good, quick survey along the bank and there didnt seem any better point to try and get out, 
decided I'd try where the rails were and take a chance I could grab the rail to pull myself out, worked, only a split second standing up in my boat before I got the rail, it was nearly an on the belly to reach down for the boat who by now was wanting to wonder off, as much as the railings helped me they didnt offer as much in getting the boat out, thankfully the other side was ok to drop back into the water, 
short distance out to the turn and back to the high portage, now this was going to be a real test getting back in from a high bank, damned site harder than getting out, chose one spot that needed a bit of mountaineering experience hanging onto some small crevices in the brick work, not easy with the weight of the boat in the other hand, by more luck than judgement Id got back in safely, what a learning curve for portaging, also learnt that if theres any water in the boat get it dumped as soon as, ok when running on the straight and level but when you go up hill or down the water slosh's to the end making it harder.


The run back was uneventful, did manage to dig in reasonably well, and it was very much a day of learning from mistakes, cant believe I added an extra portage, perhaps the ONLY person to have ever done so, what a plonker lol


One more race left in the series at leeside, got 2 weeks to sort myself out, mmmm is that long enough :) till next time

No comments:

Post a Comment